“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'” – Martin Luther King Jr.
This is my volunteering website which shares my personal experience as an elderly befriender. You can find my writing and recruitment projects along with other relevant information. (If you are viewing this on your phone, you can navigate by clicking on the 3 lines at the top right corner)
I will improve this website as I get ideas/feedback. Please share to raise awareness!
What is elderly befriending?
As an elderly befriender, I do door-to-door home visitations for elderly living alone in HDB rental flats, asking them how they are, seeing if they need any help and listening to the stories/advice that they share. I also visit a leprosy home, where I serve food/drinks, sing karaoke, play games and do simple exercises with the residents!
Why volunteer? / Benefits of volunteering
“The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty.” – Mother Teresa
Here is my personal experience:
- When others are happy, I am happy as well!
- I learn a lot from my elderly and fellow volunteers as they open up over time.
- I improve my language and communication skills.
- Befriending our elderly reduces their dementia, depression and suicide rates.
- I gain a deeper understanding about issues like the ageing population and government policies.
- The list is really too long. Read more from the Projects/Resources section!